Wednesday, January 18, 2012

in my decent skin, this is all i am version 2

"in my decent skin, this is all i am version 2"

i lift my eyes toward the sky
& inhale the bleakness
of midwestern snow.
my eyes get lost in flickers
of white heaven scraps
that fall & melt on my
pale skin.

one day, i tell her, i will be an old
man drinking coffee & reading the
newspaper in an old wooden chair. i will
be content until my coffee becomes cold
& my joints ache.

flakes fall quicker now. her green
eyes staring into my grey eyes. i know
what is implied though in truth i
resign myself to the facts of the matter:
i am young though i am not what i am.
the snow is pallorous but it does not carry
light the way her skin carries light.

i rub my hands to generate warmth &
i start to speak to myself but the sentences form
backwards & the words tumble down my throat
& crawl into the tips of my fingers.
the old man groans within me & tells me precisely
what i need to hear. but for now i am young
& i do not heed the warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment